Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Letter from Mukinge to a high school friend and believer 2001

Dear Nancy,
Sorry I havn’t written recently despite your long and interesting email. I have tried out some of the sites and they are most enlightening. But not alll yet! I havn’t even begun with your own pastors site, except for his opening discussion of the Talmud.
I am a little separated from web access at the moment. My most pressing problem are malaria (not mine) and trichuriasis (you don’t really want to know). I have been here over a week and it is quite liveable. The people are poor but wonderful and I enjoy worshiping with them. Rather to the point sermons also. I cannot believe the basic poverty. I see kwashiorkor (sever protein malnutrition, every poster kid you saw for Biafra in the early 70’s) kids and count them by the dozen. One died this AM. Overwhelming infections (another died this afternoon about 445P). But everyone younger than 40 has all their teeth and nobody smokes! Everyone smiles when I try to greet them with my misanta-mwanii and hand clapping. I am home on the 27th Keep me in your prayers.
Walt Boutwell

No comments:

Post a Comment