Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Excerpt from a letter to David "Top" Moore, Mukinge 2001

I don’t feel that much of my training or experience is of use here. I have never seen malaria before and here literally everyone has it. For adults it means a nasty day of two with aches chills and fever. For kids under five it may kill, wreaks their nutrition and stunts their growth. Kids are weaned at 9m and the mother rapidly get pregnant again thereafter. The baby is breast fed (&therefore well nourished) but the older kid (now 1.5 years old) is fed slices of thick corn mush (called 'nsheema) almost exclusively; moderate calories and low quality, low amount protein. Picture the red-headed bloated belly, apathetic toddler. Many die.
As an experience it is astounding, as a service, I hope to be a little more help than trouble. In all humility, this is following the guidance I have been given. I don’t need to solve problems here, little or big. I have to be faithful

No comments:

Post a Comment